*Special thanks to Direct Energy for sponsoring today’s post! As always, all opinions are my own*
Since graduating college in 2014, there’s one thing I’ve sort of become at expert at: saving money! With bills and students loans to pay (isn’t being an adult the best), I constantly try and make an effort to save as much as possible. A few years ago, when Illinois made an effort to go green by providing all residential homes with recycling bins, I learned that if we all make a small effort, the world could really be a greener place! It’s not only made recycling easier but it’s also made it super fun! We keep little bins throughout our house for all our recyclables and try to see who can fill their bin the fastest (who doesn’t love a little competition?!) If I’ve learned anything these past few years it that’s going green can be easy as 1, 2, 3 (and it can also help save you money in the long run!) Here are five eco-friendly ways you can save money by reducing your gas, water and electric bills:
1. Take Shorter Showers. Did you know that by shaving two minutes off your shower time, you can conserve more than ten gallons of water? Crazy right!
2. Switch All Your Lightbulbs To CFLs. CFLs last from 8-10 times longer than regular light bulbs and use about 75% less energy?! Think about the money you’ll save (seriously, light bulbs can get pricey!)
3. Wash Laundry in Cold Water Instead of Hot. Switching from hot or warm water to cold water while washing saves a TON of energy. Your clothes are going to get cleaned no mater what, might as well be eco-friendly!
4. Turn Off The Water When Brushing. You’ll conserve up to five gallons per day if you simply turn the faucet off while you’re brushing your teeth!
5. Turn Off The Lights. Nor only is turning off the lights when you live the room great for the environment, it also helps shave a couple bucks off your electricity bill each month!
If those tips weren’t simple enough, you can also receive a $75 pre-paid gift card when you sign up with Direct Energy! Use promo code LIVEBRIGHTER75 – valid until August 15th (take about easy money!)
Direct Energy is one of the largest retail providers of electricity, natural gas, and home services in all of North America. Direct Energy is also the ONLY energy provider to be a part of Plenti, which lets you earn points at one place and use them at another, all within a single rewards program so that keeping track of your rewards is simple!
New customers will be able to earn 1,000 Plenti points at enrollment when they sign up for Plenti at Plenti.com and link their Plenti card number to their Direct Energy account. Existing Direct Energy customers will also earn 1,000 Plenti points when they sign up for Plenti at Plenti.com and link their Plenti card number to their Direct Energy account (everyone wins!)
Visit www.directenergy.com/plenti for more information on Direct Energy’s Plenti points program.
How do you #LiveBrighter in your home?