Happy Monday and welcome to another edition of Monday’s Music. I can’t believe it’s been over two months since I shared my last Monday’s Music playlist (whoops) but don’t worry, I haven’t abandoned this series (in fact, I have the next five playlist topics already planned out!) Since I’m heading to Disney World later THIS WEEK, I thought this would be the perfect time to continue on with my Disney playlists (I’ve had a BLAST putting them together so far!) This week’s playlist was by far the HARDEST to narrow done since the Disney Renaissance contains, arguably, the BEST Disney films. Since there are nine films in this era and each playlist is a roundup of my top nine songs, I decided to make things a little easier on myself and choose one song per film. Strangers Like Me – Tarzan // Something There – Beauty and the Beast // Under the Sea – The Little Mermaid // The Bells of Notre Dame – The Hunchback of Notre Dame // Colors Of The Wind – Pocahontas // Circle of Life – The Lion King // I’ll Make a Man Out of You – Mulan // I Won’t Say (I’m in Love) – Hercules // Friend Like Me – Aladdin
For reference, this list refers to any Disney film made within the Disney Renaissance era (i.e 1989 -1999.) Meaning, this list could include songs from any of the following films: The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan and Tarzan. Now time for a few fun facts:
• Strangers Like Me. I LOVE Tarzan (can I trade voices with Jane/Minnie Drive please?!) While the entire soundtrack is amazing (I LOVE me some Phil Collins), my FAVORITE scene in the entire film is when Tarzan is watching all the slides about humans/history and then he takes Jane up to sketch the birds while Strangers Like Me plays in the background.
• Something There. Beauty and the Beast is my FAVORITE film of all time and although it KILLED me to choose only one song, Something There has ALWAYS been one of my favorite scenes in the film. Also, since I already listed the iconic Beauty and the Beast song in my 1992 playlist, per Monday’s Music rules, I couldn’t pick it again.
• Circle of Life. I cry EVERY TIME I hear this song (and I hear it practically every day since my mom has the CD in her car), it’s THAT powerful! I can’t wait to see Lion King on broadway again next month!
• I’ll Make a Man Out of You. I vividly remember seeing this film opening day back when I was just six years old! I loved Mulan so much that we saw it three times in theaters. My friend and I were so obsessed with this film that EVERY DAY when we were in 5th grade, we would sing I’ll Make a Man Out of You as we walked to lunch together.
• I Won’t Say (I’m in Love). This song is one of my FAVORITE Disney songs of all time! When I was a kid, I would watch Hercules EVERY DAY on VHS (remember VHS?) and whenever this song would come on, I would dance around with my toys and sing along!
What’s your favorite song from the Disney Renaissance ?
*Be sure to check out other Monday’s Music playlists HERE*