Hi everyone! Happy March! Long time no see, I know, I know. I’m happy to announce that from here on out I’m going to (try to) start posting regularly again. At one point in time I was posting three times a week (usually Monday, Wednesday and Friday) but for now I’m going to try to commit to at least once a week. (And then slowly increase to twice a week and so on).
Now that it is officially March and we’re approaching the one year mark of the pandemic, I thought why not do a little walk down memory lane. In today’s post I wanted to talk about one of the things I’ve really been missing lately: my museum visits. (More specially, visiting art museums). First world problems, I know. Trust me, this pandemic has effected my life (and so many others) in more ways that I could ever describe but I wanted to keep it semi light hearted!
An ode to all my favorite art museums:
- The Museum of Contemporary Art. MCA used to be one of my go-to museums, especially on Tuesdays when it was free to IL residents. I loved visiting because MCA always got the coolest installations and exhibits. MCA is actually set to reopen tomorrow, March 2. I would love to visit again but personally, I just don’t feel comfortable visiting museums at the moment. I’m sure they will do an amazing job with social distancing and making sure everyone is safe but for now I don’t foresee any museum visits in the near future.
- Musée d’Orsay. Musée d’Orsay is probably in my top three favorite art museums that I’ve visited. The museum is housed in the former Gare d’Orsay, a Beaux-Arts railway station and the artwork there is just incredible.
- Saint Louis Art Museum. One of the BEST things about the Saint Louis Art Museum is that it’s FREE. You read that correctly, FREE. I miss the good ole days of taking random weekend trips down to St. Louis (it’s about a four hour drive from Chicago) to visit this incredible art museum.
- Louvre Museum. No trip to Paris is complete without a visit (or two) to the Louvre. During my two separate trips to Paris I had the pleasure of spending almost an entire day in this iconic museum. (I spent about 8 hours there during my first trip to Paris and about 9 hours there the next time I visited France). The Louvre is definitely a must for any art lover!
- Metropolitan Museum of Art. The Met is always a staple for me during any quick trip to NYC. Fun fact: did you know the Met is the largest art museum in the United States?
- The Museum of Modern Art. Speaking of NYC art museums, I absolutely adore MOMA!
- National Portrait Gallery. If I’m not mistaking, the National Portrait Gallery is the last art museum I visited before the pandemic hit. I visited it in late December 2019. Then I went to NYC in January (but it was a quick trip to see a few Broadway shows so I didn’t have time to explore any museums) and Disney World in February then boom..March 2020. I think we all know what happened then.
- The Dalí Museum. Any else immediately think of La Casa De Papel (aka Money Heist) whenever they think about Salvador Dali? Side note: if you haven’t watched Money Heist (I’m sure almost everyone has by now) PLEASE do.
- The Art Institute of Chicago. Of course I had to the end the post with my all time favorite art museum. I miss getting off work and walking a few blocks over to visit the Art Institute on Thursday’s (when the museums stays open until 8PM).
What’s your favorite art museum/an art museums you’d love to visit someday?